SmartFlare™ Live Cell MicroRNA (miRNA) Detection
miRNA Technical Literature
Read this new study, which illustrates live cell microscopy and cell sorting with respect to miRNA expression.
“A novel approach to detecting miRNA in living cells”
Sorting live cells based on miR-155 expression reveals differential response to TNFα.
MicroRNAs are small, noncoding RNAs that add a layer of regulation to signaling networks, such as TGFβ, TNFα, EGFR, MAPK, PI-3K and Akt-mTOR—affecting immune response, tumor progression, organ development, metabolic control and more. But traditional miRNA detection methods are challenging and bias-prone.
Instead, go live with SmartFlare miRNA detection. Click here
to learn about live cell RNA detection.
Challenges facing traditional miRNA detection
Measuring miRNAs using traditional RNA detection methods, such as microarray, RT-PCR and RNA-seq, faces multiple obstacles:
- miRNAs are short and are sometimes lost in traditional RNA isolation methods.
- The short sequences of miRNA make amplification complicated and cumbersome to perform
- Specialized miRNA isolation kits may introduce sample bias.
- Published miRNA profiling array data show high platform-dependent variability.
Advantages of SmartFlare live cell miRNA detection
SmartFlare RNA Detection Probes allow you to easily detect miRNA in live cells with no sample prep and just a simple, nontoxic, overnight incubation, offering many advantages over traditional methods:
- Eliminates sample loss during miRNA isolation procedures
- Avoids bias introduced during miRNA isolation and sample preparation
- Ability to distinguish cell-intrinsic from cell-extrinsic effects of miRNAs
- Ability to study miRNA at the single cell level, providing better understanding of the entire cell population
- Easy sorting/enrichment of live cells with respect to miRNA levels for use in downstream assays, revealing role of miRNAs in signaling networks
- Enables study of miRNA dynamics and response to perturbations over time
Will you be the first to profile a live cell miRNome? Get started, and we’ll help.
to see a list of our existing miRNA probes.
Not sure what microRNA are at play in your system? Look into profiling them simultaneously using a simple and optimized assay just for this purpose. Learn more about SmartRNAplex microRNA profiling assay here.